Tuesday, March 20, 2012

New Old Stock - Kinda Still Just An Idea


Mission From God
I had this idea so I’ll start here. Laptop home-recording (via garageband, protools, et al), digital distribution (via myspace circa 2005, via soundcloud and tumbler circa now), and the tastemaking of the Internet and its attendant music blogs and websites (pitchfork, stereogum, your local blog if you live in a larger city) has changed the way we find out about music. In one significant way, its resulted in generation of young musicians who become (relatively) famous from their first primordial outbursts – especially in the historical DIY indie and hip-hop scenes. I’m thinking of – in no chronological order (because, indeed, chronologically this is a phenom that can trace its roots to Napster, the mid-90s internet, home-taping, etc.) – James Blake, Arctic Monkeys, Youth Lagoon, Smith Westerns, Wavves, etc. You know: youngsters. Part of their boilerplate bio was to mention how old they are, as in “holy shit, have you heard that James Blake album and can you believe he was 21 when he made it?” (“yeah, but I prefer his early stuff.”)

Music culture has always been obsessed with youth and rightly so: for generations artists have made their best albums – as a general rule – in their first five years or so. Of course, we never saw the years of local and regional toil, never heard the neophyte demos of our old favs. Overnight success wasn’t unheard of (I remember my junior high music teacher siting Boston [the band; “More Than A Feeling] as an overnight-success, especially within the context of mid-70’s regional touring and fan-base building), but it wasn’t the rule. The “acceleration” of this process via the influence of the Internet means that the Youngsters aren’t “paying their dues”. We’re hearing some of these artists from the first rosy flush, but we aren’t getting a road-worn, hard-won, blood+sweat+tears sound.

In some respects, I think we – as listeners – are getting cheated. In particular, I look (personally, in my opinion) at Wavves and think “that guy sure has an ear for a catchy tune” but I also can’t help but think that instead of hearing his home recordings at 21, I’d rather hear the songs he writes after he makes, breaks, remakes his band and his sound – after he’s been worn-out by shitty, meagerly attended shows at all-ages clubs, after he considered and reconsidered, after he’s temped in an office or hung sheetrock, after he’s lived, after he’s become more thoughtful and measured, after he’s taken his toothpick sculptures apart and recast them in bronze.

Despite this trend, the Youngsters as still the anomaly. Rock bands are still people well into their twenties, who’s friends are finishing up law school and getting married and buying homes, fighting the good fight against ever having to tell anyone their age, because at 27, isn’t it time to give this up?

And people do give it up: the world needs graphic designers, office managers, web developers, screenwriters, and late-blooming accountants, after all.

But then a curious thought hit me:

What about people who are still making music, still thinking about music, still dreaming about music? What about people in their 30s and 40s, who still breath music – even if its just secretly nestled in their hearts, instead of vestigally on their sleeves? People who continued creating – and because their hey-day never came – continued creating with that fire that we associate with youth... but is it really associated with never quite getting there?

And I’m not talking about a 40-year old dude who still listen to Nevermind everyday and talks about music with the same tin-eared retro-virus that plagued the Baby Boomers and now certainly (or irrevocably) threatens to infect Generation X.

No comments:

Post a Comment